- Grants of up to Rs. 2.50 crores or approximately $400,000 (subject to prevailing exchange
rate). Proposals outside this range may be considered under exceptional circumstances at
the discretion of the U.S.-India Science & Technology Endowment Board (hereafter referred
to as the 'Board').
- The applicants should put together their Budget requirement based on realistic assessment,
corresponding to direct cost involved and properly justified by the nature and quantum of
work involved. An attempt to do over budgeting simply to fill the bandwidth of maximum
grant size is out rightly discouraged.
- It may be noted that Endowment Fund is an Indian Rupee Fund and all the grants are denominated in Indian rupees (INR) only. Awards are made in tranches according to project milestones and installment amounts are fixed in Rupees. For U.S. Awardees, the grant is transferred after converting it into USD at the prevailing exchange rate as on the date of disbursement with no adjustment made for foreign exchange rate fluctuations. However, the applicants are encouraged to consider requesting a provision under the contingency line item of up to ten percent (10%) of the total budget in the event of a devaluation of the rupee against the dollar.
- The Board will give stronger preference to proposals that include a reasonable balance in the distribution of work and the grant between Indian and U.S. partners.
- Grants will be released in a phased manner based on successful completion of
milestones (which may include requirements to raise/ invest additional outside funding to support the project).
- All milestones for the grants will be specified at the time of the award.
- The Board reserves the right to limit its award to selected project activities and milestones
and in doing so approve partial funding.
Things to Remember
- The applicants should thoroughly review the entire Information Handbook for detailed information and understanding the processing of the U.S. - India Science and Technology Endowment Fund at different stages1 .
- The evaluation of all the submitted applications will be undertaken by the U.S.-India Science and Technology Endowment Board in consultation with external experts and per the need of the application.
1It may be noted that the U.S.-India Science and Technology Endowment Board may change the processes, timeline, formats and Terms and Conditions at any time without specific notice. The decisions of the U.S.-India Science and Technology Endowment Board will be final.